Wednesday 1 February 2017

Interview: Cosplayer, Artist Raj Pathare

Originally published - ComicsReel Website
Tell us something about yourself.
Hi, this is Raj Pathare. You can find me as Webhead Cosplays on Facebook & Instagram. I am an Architecture student as well as a Professional Graffiti artist.
When and how did you start cosplaying?
I started cosplaying back in 2014. I had seen some pictures from MFCC 2013 which my friends visited and I was truly amazed to see such cosplay, as I was into cartoons and comics since childhood. So my first cosplay was Doc OC from Spiderman 2. It took me around 1 month to complete and was totally low-cost cosplay but came out good and i won category award for my first cosplay. I also won in same category for same cosplay in 2015
What are the challenges that you face while cosplaying in India?
TRAVELING!!! Getting your props to con traveling by trains, especially when you stay far. Also people around look at you in a suspicious manner as if my swords are real or I am a retard, and you land up with silly questions, people don’t have an idea about cosplaying yet. When we explain that this is a cosplay or its my hobby, they ask so how much do they pay you for this! Some People think putting so much efforts in a costume that too as a hobby is waste of time! Where as some people appreciate it and get inspired.
What are some important things to consider while making props?
Prop making is fun but can be hectic at times too. Firstly you need to find materials. I usually find waste materials and try to use them in my cosplays. People appreciate when they spot those materials you used for detailing, for eg needle case, balm bottle caps, shoe laces, etc.
Besides cosplaying what other creative fields have you explored?
As i said i am graffiti artist and do it for living!! I started graffiti as a hobby 5 years back and now turned it into a profession. I have done many commercial projects such as Micromax advertisement. You can find my work at IIT Bombay (Techfest). I represent the  streets!!!
What is your favorite cosplays that you have done till now? 
Till now i have cosplayed- Doc Oc, Spidey, Deadpool, Prince of Persia, Fire Fist Ace, Vegeta.
But people gave amazing response to my Fire Fist Ace and Doc Oc. Fire Fist Ace is a great character from One Piece and so there were many one piece fans going crazy over my cosplay. Plus there was Monica Premkumar cosplaying Luffy with me which made it more catchy for one piece fans!

How can the cons and comics events can be further improved?
I feel cons should be provided with changing facilities for cosplayers. Also some lockers for them as you can see many cosplayers cosplaying as well as handling their bags and stuff!!! And also cosplayers should be given 30secs of performance time if they have something their mind.
Cosplay in India is growing and getting better! I have seen many good cosplayers since I have started, also I am a newbie and looking forward to pull out some kick ass cosplays.
What is an ideal location for cosplay shoots?
If you are looking for a location to shoot in Mumbai I will recommend Vasai Fort. Since it has many parts segregated and it is an old fort. Broken walls and arches gives good effects and add amazing background to your picture, also depends on your character. You can find pictures of my Prince of Persia shoot and Spidey shoot which was done at Vasai Fort.
Any tips for cosplay fans who are just starting up?
I always advise people to cosplay, especially the ones who ask me about cosplaying. You once try to visit a con and I am sure that you will be amazed and will have an urge to cosplay!!! Also cosplay for fun and to live your character, not for just winning. No doubt winning cosplays are great but when you cosplay your favorite character even though its simple, that feeling is different!!!
Interview by Mohit Sharma Trendster
Follow Webhead Cosplays on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment